Payne County, Oklahoma Genealogy
Payne County, Oklahoma genealogy and family tree research page. Find links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to help you you find your own Payne Co., ancestors. Get started by creating a Free Family Tree.
Payne County was founded on 1890 from the Cherokee Outlet. The county was named in honor of David L. Payne, the key figure in opening Oklahoma to white settlement.
The Payne County Seat is located in Stillwater and the county government website is http://www.paynecounty.org
Places surrounding Payne County are Noble County (north), Pawnee County (northeast), Creek County (east), Lincoln County (south), Logan County (southwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Payne County include Cushing, Glencoe, Perkins, Ripley, Stillwater, Yale
Payne County includes Federal Census Schedules to guide in exploring your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules exist for 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Payne Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. You will discover free online in addition to printable census forms that can help with your research.
Payne County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Payne County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Oklahoma Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Oklahoma State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Payne County Historical Society, P.O. Box 194, Stillwater, OK 74074
- Payne County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 2708, Stillwater, OK 74076
- Cushing Genealogical Society, P. O. Box 551, Cushing, Oklahoma 74023
- Payne County, Oklahoma Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Payne County
- Payne County, Oklahoma Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Payne County
- USGenWeb Archives for Payne County (usgwarchives.net)
Payne County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the importance of Payne County court, probate, and land documents as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Oklahoma courthouses and archives everywhere could be the ambitions and frustrations of countless Oklahoma citizens.
The possibilities are very good that your chosen forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least a few factors of their lives in the Payne County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Make sure you speak to the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other facts just before visiting or seeking information because of occasionally changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Most staff will assist individuals in finding the resources, however it's up to the man or women to carry out the basic research.
The below specifics indicates whatever death, marriage, birth, property, probate, and courtroom records are in Payne County. The dates pointed out below are the first recognized records data in this county. Guide to the Historical Records of Oklahoma, indicates location of county records, including those of tax and assessments.
- Payne County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 315 W 6th Ave, Stillwater, OK 74074
- Phone: (405) 747-8310
- Payne County Clerk's Office is responsible for preserving all the legal instruments filed by private citizens and public officials with the County Clerk's office. The office maintains files of all real estate records, plats, judgments, liens, patents, military discharges, school records, county personnel, insurance and retirement records for employees, meeting notices, commissioners' proceedings and other documents. Although county clerks record births and deaths and provide information on request, certificates are available only from the Vital Records Section, State Department of Health
- Birth / Death Records: 1908
- Land Records: 1894
- Payne County Court Clerk's Office has the primary responsibility to record, file, and maintain permanent records of the proceedings of the District Court. We collect fines, fees, and forfeitures, and distribute the collected monies as provided by law to the appropriate agencies. There are numerous types of cases filed with the Court Clerk's Office some of which include: Civil, Small Claims, Probate, Guardianship, Adoption, Felony, Misdemeanor, Search Warrants, Licenses and more...
- Marriage Records: 1894
- Probate Records: 1889
- Court Records: 1885
- Payne County Tax Assessors Office has the responsibility to appraise and assess the real and personal property within the county for the purpose of ad-valorem taxation. Also, the county assessor is required to compute the ad-valorem taxes due on all the taxable property. By law, the county assessor appraises all the taxable real property according to its fair cash value for which the property is actually being used. The county treasurer or assessor may have tax or assessment records. Some tax records are stored in museums, historical, and/or genealogical societies' repositories.
- Oklahoma Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Oklahoma for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events. They are prime sources for genealogical information.
Oklahoma Historical Records
- Databases include Oklahoma Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Oklahoma Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Oklahoma Voter Lists & Census Records; Oklahoma Immigration & Emigration Records; Oklahoma Obituary Records; Oklahoma Military Records; Oklahoma Family Tree Records; Oklahoma Pictures; Oklahoma Stories, Memories & Histories; Oklahoma Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Payne County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Payne County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is just a listing that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own favorite Payne County genealogy or family history related sites.
Payne Co. OK Books, Newspapers & Publications
Payne Co. OK Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Payne Co. OK Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Payne Co. OK Census Records
Payne Co. OK Cemeteries & Graveyards
Payne Co. OK Church & Bible Records
Payne Co. OK Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Payne Co. OK General and History Websites
Payne Co. OK Immigration & Naturalization
Payne Co. OK Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Payne Co. OK Military Records
Payne Co. OK Schools & Directories