Coal County, Oklahoma Genealogy
Coal County, Oklahoma genealogy and family tree research page. Find links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to help you you find your own Coal Co., ancestors. Get started by creating a Free Family Tree.
Coal County was founded on July 16, 1907 from Choctaw lands. The county was named for Coal, the primary economic product of the region at the time.
The Coal County Seat is located in Coalgate and the county government website is unknown
Places surrounding Coal County are Hughes County (north), Pittsburg County (northeast), Atoka County (east & south), Johnston County (southwest), Pontotoc County (west).
Cities and towns to be found in Coal County include Bromide, Cario, Centrahoma, Clarita, Coalgate, Cottonwood, Lehigh, Olney, Phillips, Tupelo
Coal County includes Federal Census Schedules to guide in exploring your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules exist for 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. You will discover free online in addition to printable census forms that can help with your research.
Coal County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Coal County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Oklahoma Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
Coal County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the importance of Coal County court, probate, and land documents as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Oklahoma courthouses and archives everywhere could be the ambitions and frustrations of countless Oklahoma citizens.
The possibilities are very good that your chosen forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least a few factors of their lives in the Coal County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Make sure you speak to the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other facts just before visiting or seeking information because of occasionally changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Most staff will assist individuals in finding the resources, however it's up to the man or women to carry out the basic research.
The below specifics indicates whatever death, marriage, birth, property, probate, and courtroom records are in Coal County. The dates pointed out below are the first recognized records data in this county. Guide to the Historical Records of Oklahoma, indicates location of county records, including those of tax and assessments.
- Coal County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 4 N Main St, Coalgate, OK 74538
- Phone: (580) 927-2103
- Coal County Clerk's Office is responsible for preserving all the legal instruments filed by private citizens and public officials with the County Clerk's office. The office maintains files of all real estate records, plats, judgments, liens, patents, military discharges, school records, county personnel, insurance and retirement records for employees, meeting notices, commissioners' proceedings and other documents. Although county clerks record births and deaths and provide information on request, certificates are available only from the Vital Records Section, State Department of Health
- Birth / Death Records: 1908
- Land Records: 1904
- Coal County Court Clerk's Office has the primary responsibility to record, file, and maintain permanent records of the proceedings of the District Court. We collect fines, fees, and forfeitures, and distribute the collected monies as provided by law to the appropriate agencies. There are numerous types of cases filed with the Court Clerk's Office some of which include: Civil, Small Claims, Probate, Guardianship, Adoption, Felony, Misdemeanor, Search Warrants, Licenses and more...
- Marriage Records: 1907
- Probate Records: 1907
- Court Records: 1907
- Coal County Tax Assessors Office has the responsibility to appraise and assess the real and personal property within the county for the purpose of ad-valorem taxation. Also, the county assessor is required to compute the ad-valorem taxes due on all the taxable property. By law, the county assessor appraises all the taxable real property according to its fair cash value for which the property is actually being used. The county treasurer or assessor may have tax or assessment records. Some tax records are stored in museums, historical, and/or genealogical societies' repositories.
- Oklahoma Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Oklahoma for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events. They are prime sources for genealogical information.
Oklahoma Historical Records
- Databases include Oklahoma Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Oklahoma Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Oklahoma Voter Lists & Census Records; Oklahoma Immigration & Emigration Records; Oklahoma Obituary Records; Oklahoma Military Records; Oklahoma Family Tree Records; Oklahoma Pictures; Oklahoma Stories, Memories & Histories; Oklahoma Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Coal County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Coal County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is just a listing that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own favorite Coal County genealogy or family history related sites.
Coal Co. OK Books, Newspapers & Publications
Coal Co. OK Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Coal Co. OK Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Coal Co. OK Census Records
Coal Co. OK Cemeteries & Graveyards
Coal Co. OK Church & Bible Records
Coal Co. OK Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Coal Co. OK General and History Websites
Coal Co. OK Immigration & Naturalization
Coal Co. OK Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Coal Co. OK Military Records
Coal Co. OK Schools & Directories